There is only one god.
- Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else beside him. Deuteronomy 4:35
- The LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else. Deuteronomy 4:39
- Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord. Deuteronomy 6:4
- See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me. Deuteronomy 32:39
- The LORD, he is the God; the LORD, he is the God. 1 Kings 18:39
- I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. Isaiah 43:10
- I am the LORD, and there is none else … There is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else. Isaiah 44:8
- I am the Lord, and there is none else, there is no God beside me. Isaiah 45:5-6
- There is no God else beside me … There is none beside me. Isaiah 45:21
- I am God, and there is none else: I am God, and there is none like me. Isaiah 46:9
- The Lord our God is one Lord. Mark 12:29
- There is one God; and there is none other but he. Mark 12:32
- That they might know thee the only true God. John 17:3
- But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him. 1 Corinthians 8:6
There are several gods.
In the book of Genesis, God used a plural pronoun to refer to himself (herself, itself, or themselves), implying that there is more than one god up there.
- And God said, let us make man in our image. Genesis 1:26
- And the Lord God said, Behold, then man is become as one of us, to know good and evil. Genesis 3:22
- Let us go down, and there confound their language. Genesis 11:7
The Old Testament God is a “god of gods” who is worshiped by the other gods..
No other god is like him.
- Among the gods there is none like unto thee, O Lord. Psalm 86:8
He is better than the other gods.
- Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods? Exodus 15:11
- Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods. Exodus 18:11
- Thou shalt have no other gods before me. … Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them. Exodus 20:3-5
- What God is there in heaven or in earth, that can do according to thy works? Deuteronomy 3:24
- Our Lord is above all gods. Psalm 135:5
The other gods will die someday.
- The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth, even they shall perish from the earth, and from under these heavens. Jeremiah 10:11
The Hebrew God judges the other gods.
- And against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment. Exodus 12:12
- Upon their gods also the LORD executed judgments. Numbers 33:4
- God standeth in the congregation of the mighty, he judgeth among the gods. Psalm 82:1
And will punish them.
- I will punish the multitude of No, and Pharaoh, and Egypt, with their gods. Jeremiah 46:25
- The Lord will be terrible to them: for he will famish all the gods of the earth. Zephaniah 2:11
He is a jealous God (whose name is Jealous). So he forbids us to “go after” or worship any of his competitors.
- For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God. Exodus 34:14
- Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you; (For the LORD thy God is a jealous God among you.) Deuteronomy 6:14-15
- Thou shalt not … go after other gods to serve them. Deuteronomy 28:14
If you give God glory, he’ll go easy on you and all your other gods.
- Ye shall give glory unto the God of Israel: peradventure he will lighten his hand from off you, and from off your gods. 1 Samuel 6:5
- And go not after other gods to serve them, and to worship them, and provoke me not to anger with the works of your hands; and I will do you no hurt. Jeremiah 25:6
But you must fear God more than all the other gods.
Don’t sacrfifice to any of the other gods. (Or God will kill you.)
- He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed. Exodus 22:20
Don’t put any of the other gods before him.
Don’t make a covenant with them.
- Thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor with their gods. Exodus 23:32
Don’t burn incense to them.
- I will utter my judgments against them … who have forsaken me, and have burned incense unto other gods. Jeremiah 1:16
Or even mention their names.
- Make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth. Exodus 23:13
Put away your father’s gods.
- Fear the Lord … and put away the gods which your fathers served. Joshua 24:14
And stay away from the god named Chemosh.
- Wilt not thou possess that which Chemosh thy god giveth thee to possess? Judges 11:24
But don’t revile the other gods.
Other people served other gods (as did Abraham’s father Terah).
- Your fathers dwelt on the other side of the flood in old time, even Terah, the father of Abraham, and the father of Nachor: and they served other gods. Joshua 24:2
And a witch once saw gods going up to heaven.
- And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth. 1 Samuel 28:13
Always remember that people are gods too. (Jesus used this when he was accused of making himself a god.)
- I have said, Ye are gods. Psalm 82:6
- The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? John 10:33-34
And the three gods in heaven are really only one god. (Don’t worry about this one too much. It’s a mystery.)
- For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 1 John 5:7