There is only one god.
There are several gods.
In the book of Genesis, God used a plural pronoun to refer to himself (herself, itself, or themselves), implying that there is more than one god up there.
The Old Testament God is a “god of gods” who is worshiped by the other gods..
No other god is like him.
He is better than the other gods.
The other gods will die someday.
The Hebrew God judges the other gods.
And will punish them.
He is a jealous God (whose name is Jealous). So he forbids us to “go after” or worship any of his competitors.
If you give God glory, he’ll go easy on you and all your other gods.
But you must fear God more than all the other gods.
Don’t sacrfifice to any of the other gods. (Or God will kill you.)
Don’t put any of the other gods before him.
Don’t make a covenant with them.
Don’t burn incense to them.
Or even mention their names.
Put away your father’s gods.
And stay away from the god named Chemosh.
But don’t revile the other gods.
Other people served other gods (as did Abraham’s father Terah).
And a witch once saw gods going up to heaven.
Always remember that people are gods too. (Jesus used this when he was accused of making himself a god.)
And the three gods in heaven are really only one god. (Don’t worry about this one too much. It’s a mystery.)
Join Us On
- Neil deGrasse Tyson and Richard Dawkins Discuss Religion
- Tree of World Religions
- Lawrence Krauss on the xenophobia inherent in religion
- This sure reminds me of all the theists I know…
- The people who believe that abstinence is the only birth control also believe that a virgin got pregnant
- John Oliver on Televangelists
- Symphony of Science – Waves of Light
- Your religious beliefs must stay 500 yards away from my Constitutional rights at all times
- How To Tell If Your Religious Liberties Are Being Violated
- Churches Can End Homelessness and Hunger In One Year, Instead It Buys Jets
Dan Anderson on Passenger references bible ver… shematwater on Are you a ‘persecuted ch… shematwater on Are you a ‘persecuted ch… iankogneeto on The Quick and Easy Guide to… iankogneeto on The Quick and Easy Guide to…
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets