Are you tired of religious people being seen as morally superior to atheists? Of religions getting special privileges in the law, because they’re perceived as better than secular non-profit organizations?
As a protest, atheist friends of magician Penn Jillette of Penn & Teller had a fantastic idea in 2010. Let’s start a real, legal church with a funny name, and then demand the same rights as mainstream religions:
- We oppose supernatural claims. We are skeptics and atheists. In our religion, we doubt religion.
- We fight discrimination. Atheists are not inferior and should not be hated and marginalized.
- We raise money for charity while accepting no donations for ourselves. We do not claim tax exempt status.
- We perform legal weddings, always for free. How joyful!
- We expose religious privileges as silly by claiming the same rights for Bacon.
- We praise Bacon! If you don’t like pigs, praise Vegetarian Bacon or Turkey Bacon.
We now have 4,000 members from around the world and have performed hundreds of weddings. Join us! Raise your voice in protest, and to Praise Bacon!
- More than 4,000 members, giving us mega church status
- Became one of the fastest growing new religions in the world
- Provided an avenue for public employees to report church/state violations at work
- Provided wedding services for non believers
- Exposed discrimination against wedding officiants who don’t believe in God
- Raised $25,000 in 2014 for the James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF) and Secular Student Alliance (SSA)
- Raised $24,000 in 2014 for the Secular Coalition for America (SCA) and American Atheists
- Raised $12,000 in 2014 to fight cancer
- Stopped illegal and dangerous parking at Calvary Chapel Spring Valley
- Donated to former West Point Cadet Blake Page to further his education at another institution
- Single largest contributor to Oklahoma tornado survivor Rebecca Vitsmun
- Held second annual United Church of Bacon revival at Burning Man 2014.